At SPC Select we take our environmental responsibilities very seriously and we are committed to minimising the impact our business has on the environment. The following are some of the actions we take to achieve this.
- Where possible we make every effort to reuse boxes and packaging, customer orders will often be dispatched in boxes that have been previously used, which enables us to use less natural resources.
- Nearly all our cardboard and polythene waste is recycled.
- Recycling of paper, cans, batteries, ink cartridges, fluorescent tubes and long life bulbs.
- Any seed or seed mix bags that we have supplied and that our customers are unable to recycle locally can be returned to us to recycle on their behalf.
- All staff to be proactive in suggestions and forward planning on environmental issues.
- Print out documents only when absolutely necessary for the operation of the business.
- Managers and staff on site to be vigilant on a daily basis to identify and action repairs to leaking taps or cisterns that require maintenance to avoid wasting water and ensure that lighting in unused rooms is turned off.
- Induction training for new staff and ongoing annual training for the environmental policy.
- We regularly review our policy in detail, as well as taking action throughout the year if instances arise with which we can implement and change our policy to benefit the environment.
Our Reuse & Recycle Policy
We made the decision that as a company it was more important to limit waste and reuse where possible rather than have the aesthetics of always having brand new packaging. Speaking personally, I much prefer to have an item that I have purchased delivered to my door in the most environmentally friendly way possible.
We actively reuse boxes for dispatching customer orders when we are able to do so. We do this when the boxes are fit for purpose, clean and structurally sound. Because they may have been previously used, they may have had old labels, other company logos or other designs on the box that may make them look untidy. We think this a small price to pay if it means that another box hasn’t had to be manufactured to achieve this. Once you receive the delivery all we ask is that you either make use of or recycle these boxes if possible.
Our seed mixes are supplied in polythene packaging. Although this polythene is recyclable we realise that many local councils do not offer this in household recycling. Although there are places that will take this waste it can be difficult to dispose of in an environmentally friendly way. If you are unable to recycle we are more than happy to have you return all the seed mix packaging to us and we will recycle for you. If you wish to return the empty bags to us, then any charges you incur will be your responsibility. Many of our customers purchase the same products regularly and so are able to collect a fair number of bags before sending. If you wish to return to us to recycle on your behalf, our delivery address is SPC Select, 34-36 South Street, Lancing, West Sussex, BN15 8AG.